Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 1993)

Subject: Re: Two Enhancement Requests
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ mycroft . GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1993 15:20:41 -0800
To: rogerk @ queernet . org
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

rogerk@queernet.org writes:

# I'd like the ability to:
#
# 1) Log even failed commands

Should be easy to do; add a one-liner to the main loop.  I'd make it
controllable by a majordomo.cf flag, though, since it could greatly
increase the size of the log file.

You know the rules for Majordomo enhancements, Roger...  :-)

# 2) Log the entire input message (of course, a mail alias could be used too).

How's that different from what I described above?

Here's the Majordomo alias for my system:

majordomo: "|/usr/local/mail/majordomo/wrapper majordomo",
        /usr/local/mail/logs/majordomo.incoming

You're right, this is useful.  I find it more useful than I would find
improved logging, in fact, because it lets me look at the headers of
the user's message.

# This would facilitate helping the frustrated user who can't figure out the
# directions.

Yeah.

# By the way, syntax diagrams with []{}| are particularly confusing to most
# non-compunerds.

And to non-UNIX compunerds.  I know, but can you suggest any
alternatives that still get the point across?  Maybe even just a
couple of lines at the top of the "help" file that explain the syntax
conventions?

Thanks!

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent@GreatCircle.COM                           1057 West Dana Street

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Has there been any consideration to putting the "lists" in directories?