Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 1994)

Subject: Slowness of Majordomo
From: bill @ biome . bio . ns . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 11:39:45 -0400 (AST)
To: Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM (Majordomo Users)

I am carrying out a curious experiment that backs up my earlier messages
about major delays in processing Majordomo requests.  Due to the
difficulties in running a fairly active list and the number of bounced
subscription requests, the person for whom I set up the list moved it to
another server and copied over the subscription file.  But since
subscriptions were still coming in to my server, I needed to keep the
new subscriptions to forward.

Of course the simplest thing to do would have been simply to delete the
160 entries he copied over, but as a test of majordomo I did the
following; I took the list from the new server and edited it into a
series of lines of the form:

and submitted a file with 160 commands to majordomo.

This message is being processed at the rate of about two commands per
hour.  It should take about three days for all 160 users to be
unsubscribed!

I have no idea what is causing the slowdown.  The system is SGI running
IRIX 4.0.5, Majordomo v. 1.62, perl 4.036.  Any ideas?

Bill
--
Bill Silvert at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2