Subject: Re: majordomo vs. other mail-list programs
From: pdc @ lunch . asd . sgi . com (Paul Close)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 12:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
To: rogerk @ unpc . queernet . org (Roger B.A. Klorese)
Cc: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca, darren @ inherent . com, Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM

> > For example, in January I set up a mailing last that was very active,
> > which is how I learned about the permission problems with lock files.
> > I was deluged with angry mail and had to go the world-writable directory
> > route because I couldn't keep making people upset while I experimented.
> >
> > More recently I screwed up while trying to implement digests and ended
> > up just cancelling the digest feature after sending out apologies to the
> > lists affected.
> >
> > The big problem with mailing lists is that if you try to learn on the
> > job, you affect many other users.  This makes it valuable to have very
> > explicit documentation and, if possible, a configuration program for the
> > installation.
>
> Anyone who implements a change and opens it TO THE PUBLIC without at least
> 2-3 days' dry-running should be shot.

What I do, instead of shooting myself :-), is make a separate majordomo
setup just for testing.  This allows me to test whatever configurations I
like.  As long as I don't break the aliases file, nobody knows.  The aliases
look something like this:

majordomo: "/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"
mjd-test: "/local/majordomo-test/wrapper majordomo"

The important thing is that any test lists use /local/majordomo-test, not
/local/majordomo!  And in the config file in the test setup, make sure and
make the owner mjd-test, not majordomo (or your majordomo replies will go to
the wrong one).

This setup also allows me to test new or beta releases of majordomo....
--
Paul Close	     pdc@sgi.com	   ...!{ames, decwrl, uunet}!sgi!pdc

			No fate but what we make