Subject: Re: majordomo vs. other mail-list programs
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ unpc . queernet . org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 12:27:17 -0700
To: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Cc: Majordomo-Users @ greatcircle . com (Majordomo Users)

> 1. Setting up a list is the biggest change.  How do you start a list
> without "opening it TO THE PUBLIC"?

Easy.  Unless you believe that people out there spend all their
time sending mail to every address on the Internet seing if it has
a Majordomo user, asking which lists it manages, etc... simple.
You just don't publicize it.  Use a fake name.  Whatever.  It's
trivial.

> 2. In my posting I referred to a list that was very active and caused
> problems because of the lock file problem.  How does anyone, especially
> a novice, test for that before the list is "open TO THE PUBLIC" in such
> a way as to catch a problem caused by heavy activity?

Start a shell script, or open 50 windows, to submit 50 subscribe
and unsubscribe requests at the same time.  Forge them with fake
users on your system, if you have to.

> 3. There is no information in the documentation about "dry-running", and
> running a list with just one subscriber is not much of a test.

There's probably no information in your compiler manual about how
to test any application your site writes or installs either.  Let
me try this differently: anyone who installs ANY software and puts
it into production without dry-running it should be shot.  You're
apparently looking for a "configuring Majordomo without trying to
read Perl, look at Majordomo debug output, or think about it as a
Unix tool" document, from a software-customer perspective.  I don't.
I'm glad people are working on the software instead of documenting
it for non-sysadmins.  I'm glad it's a Unix toolkit, not a software
package.
---
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                          rogerk@QueerNet.ORG
2215-R Market Street #576         San Francisco, CA 94114       +1 415 ALL-ARFF
"There is only one real blasphemy: the refusal of joy."         -- Paul Rudnick