Subject: Re: Majordomo is acting up
From: "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb @ kryten . atinc . com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:52:01 -0500 (EST)
To: "Carl J. DiGiorgio" <digior+ @ pitt . edu>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 2 Mar 1995, Carl J. DiGiorgio wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I have (or had) majordomo successfully installed on my machine.
> I am running a Dell Pentium PC with Linux 1.1.89 and Perl 5.0.  About a month
> ago, majordomo (v 1.93) was working fine.  I demo'd it to a couple of people
> who I am setting up lists for and it worked fine.  Howevere, now it does not
> seem to be working.  I did not change any files except those related to
> lists.  The majordomo proper files were left untouched as were the

	hmm.....

> majordomo proper aliases.  However, when I send a test help message to
> majordomo, I get the following:
> _____________________________
> path:~$ echo help |/usr/lib/sendmail -v majordomo
> new spool file is /var/spool/smail/input/0rkD41-000B5LC
> write_log:received
> |            from: digior
> |         program: sendmail
> |            size: 66 bytes
> director aliases: matched majordomo, aliased to "|/home/majordom/wrapper
> majordomo"
>     directed majordomo --> "|/home/majordom/wrapper majordomo" ... send
> to pipe transport
> transport pipe uses driver pipe
>   pipe: exec: "/bin/sh" "-c" "/home/majordom/wrapper majordomo"
> write_log:note: "|/home/majordom/wrapper majordomo" ... transport pipe:
> child returned status EX_255 (255)

	frequently, 255 indicates an error in the perl scripts.  i do not
run linux and have no experience with it.   if i purposely break
majordomo, i get the following returned to me in a mail message (in my
role as one of majordom, owner-majordomo, majordomo-owner, list-owner etc..)

syntax error in file /usr/local/majordomo/majordomo at line 1758, at EOF
Execution of /usr/local/majordomo/majordomo aborted due to compilation
errors.
554 "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"... unknown mailer error 255

> write_log:delivered
> |              to: /home/majordom/wrapper majordomo
> |         orig-to: majordomo
> |        director: aliases
> |       transport: pipe
> ______________________________
> Can anybody tell me what this means?  Here is the relevant section from
> my /usr/lib/aliases file:
>
> #
> # Majordomo Aliases
> #
> majordomo: "|/home/majordom/wrapper majordomo"
> majordom: owner-majordomo
> majordomo-owner: digior
> owner-majordomo: majordomo-owner
>
> Any ideas?  the wrapper program is running suid root.  I'd rather not do
> a reinstall.  Thanx in advance.

	try extracting majordomo to another directory and diff the script
files.  either the are the same and the problem lies elsewhere or explain
the differences to your own satisfaction.  ;))

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com	| Analysis & Technology, Inc.
						| 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.					| Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life	| 703-418-2800 x346