Subject: Re: resend and 'spaced' lines
From: Dallas N Antley <dna @ clas . ufl . edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 1995 02:18:27 -0500
To: "Dougal Campbell" <Dougal @ mtronics . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

/- On Tuesday (3/7/1995 9:54) "Dougal Campbell" <Dougal@mtronics.com> wrote:

> >The list moderator wants to have a centered title at the top of his
> >postings.  Unfortunately, it seemed that resend would "eat" these
> >lines that started with a space character, resulting in the title
> >disappearing from the mailings.  Then, he tried starting these
> >centered lines with a non-space character, such as '.' and '['.  These
> >caused the title to be sent through, but then 'resend' adds the
> >'Sender' and 'Precedence' lines below the title, yet above the message
> >body.  Here is an example:
> [example deleted]
>
> Ask your moderator to try putting a blank line before the one he wants
> centered.  It appears that his mailer puts the first line in with the
> headers, then resend comes along later and adds more headers, confusing
> things a bit.
>
> Adding a blank line at the beginning should tell your mail system where the
> headers end and teh body begins.

Alas, we have already tried this.  He uses Eudora for Macintosh, and I
have tried both /usr/ucb/Mail and MH.  Posting from any of the three
exhibit the same symptoms.  The first line in the body is the
'Approved:', followed by blank lines, then the centered lines, more
blank lines, then the message body. The number of blank lines can be
changed (even = 0), yet the same behaviour is observed.

In any event, thank you for your time.

                                Dallas Antley
				dna@{clas,ucet}.ufl.edu
"When you build great technologies, the support comes naturally."
						--SunSoft, '93