Subject: Re: Sending mail in batches & how to direct crap-posting to /dev/null
From: "John C. Orthoefer" <jco @ bbn . com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:37:25 -0500
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Cc: "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb @ kryten . atinc . com>, Johannes Gronvall <joha @ damicon . fi>

> or	if this machine only does majordomo, invoke the sendmail daemon with
> 	-q6h  so that it processes mail every 6 hours

-q6h won't quiet work.  Since sendmail will try to deliver it once,
right away then again in 6 hours.  If you want the effect of a burst
of traffic every 6 hours, then I'd do it as follows.

	o Set up my own queue.

	o Set up resend to queue messages as:
		/usr/lib/sendmail -oQ/tmp/sm.q -odq -f$sendmail_sender -t

	  -oQ gives it the alternate queue directory
	  -odq Tells sendmail to ONLY queue the message
	  -f who the mail is from (already in resend)
	  -t read the headers (already in resend)

	o have a special sendmail run the queue every 6 hours
		/usr/lib/sendmail -q6h -oQ/tmp/sm.q

I've not tested this change under majordomo.  But I know it works for
newsgate.

As far as reading the message and disposing of bad messages goes.  I
would look at proc mail.  That sort of functionality is outside of the
scope of majordomo.

johno

ps. you may not want to put your mail queue in /tmp.

pps.  If you want a burst of traffic every 6 hours at say 0115, 0715,
1315 and 1915.  Then you need to set up a cron job to run the queue
once at those times

	15  1,7,13,19  * * * /usr/lib/sendmail -q -oQ/tmp/sm.q

	-q with nothing says run the queue ONCE

ppps.  Do I get any sendmail hacker points for this one?  :)
-
John Orthoefer   | Take this out and a Unix Demon will dog your steps from
<jco@bbn.com>    | now until the time_t's wrap around.
617-873-6188     |  -- Curse from the tunefs(8) man page source