Subject: Re: Truncated subscriber lists!
From: rs0thp @ rohmhaas . com (Dr. Tom Pierce)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:29:32 -0500 (EST)
To: brian @ hyperreal . com (Brian Behlendorf)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Previously, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, Thomas Leavitt wrote:
> but it definitely brings up the point that majordomo just isn't designed
> to deal with lists of more than a couple of thousand people - it takes
> too long to do anything and is thus liable to conflicting processes,
> system hangs because there's 12 concurrent processes all competing to
> edit the same file, and a sysadmin who is forced to kill processes when
> they are causing the machine to swap.
>
> Subscribes and unsubscribes are where it takes the longest amount of time
>
> Anyways, with some modifications we've been able to support 45,000 people
> modifications to majordomo along the lines of the following:
>
> Instead of modifying one huge list, majordomo splits the main list into a
> configurable number of sublists based on the domain name of the address.
> I.e., for hotflash, in the lists directory there'd be a hotflash directory
> with files in it like "edu", "com", "uk", etc - thus, when majordomo has to

If it would work on subdomains, that would help me. I have 11,000 potential
list memebers and would like to use sub domains not .com.  We are all .com...

> Segments = edu,n.com,com,uk

> sendmail delivery - when majordomo hands the message off to sendmail,
> /etc/aliases is set up such that 39 parallel sendmail processes are fired
> up

Interesting and batch sending would be useful

> Now here's the kicker - we'd *love* to contribute this back to the public
> domain to be integrated into the next release of majordomo, but it's not

> Is there a concensus that this is something the majordomo community could
> use?

I would like this functionality if I can avoid too much additional complexity.

> 1) making INDEX and GET not-list-related (yes, turning it into a file
> server - make that an option in the config at least! :)

  ok an option I can avoid.

> 2) allow moderators to put Approved: headers at the top of the message
> instead of in the mail headers, for those with mailers who can't edit
> headers

OK

> 3) having majordomo just die when accessed from particular hosts -
> majordomo wages war on other autoreply daemons every now and then (vacation
> programs that don't do the right thing and only send one reply a day,
> etc) so being able to look in a list and find regular expressions to
> match the address on are very useful

OK

> Again, these are things we're willing to contribute to the majordomo
> distribution.  Finally, we're working on a script to automate processing
> of mail to list-owner, recognizing bouncing addresses and removing them
> if they bounce too much or are completely wrong, which we think will be
> able to eliminate about 90% of our work in that area (which now takes
> about 10 man-hours per week, as roughly 1% of mailing list addresses go
> bad per week - this is true for all lists I run).

This would be nice.

> What do people think?

As a user of majordomo I like it. But then I am grateful to those
who wrote majordomo and defer to their priorities.

--
Sincerely, Thomas Pierce - THPierce@RohmHaas.Com  -  Computational Chemist
"These opinions are those of the writer and not the Rohm and Haas Company."