Subject: Re: Alpha help
From: hippo @ garply . com (Hugh Messenger)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 12:41:43 -0500
To: ltague @ physio1 . utmem . edu, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

At 11:35 AM 4/6/95 -0500, ltague@physio1.utmem.edu wrote:
>[at sometime or other, sombeody else wrote:]
>>Has anyone out there experienced problems trying to set up
>>majordomo on a dec Alpha?
>I currently have Majordomo running on an Alpha with OSF/1 v.1.3.  I am having
>no
>problems

Ditto.  The only problems I had were early on.  First the "log file not
writeable, out of memory error" thing, then a small panic when majordomo
was giving itself as the Reply-To address on administrative request
replies.  This started a minor mailer war between my majordomo and a remote
sendmail, after a user sub'ed from an address which disappeared immediately
afterwards.  Their MAILER-DAEMON and my Majordomo traded indignant
automated responses at the rate of about 3 per minute for 20 hours before
anyone noticed :(

I still don't know how the Reply-to should get set, but I hacked the
majordomo script to specifically use majordomo-owner as the reply-to and it
seems to work OK.

I have a few internal lists and one relatively large 'world wide' one with
around 450 members.  It all works just fine.  Looking at the mailq on a
busy Tottenham Hotspurs day (spurs-list@garply.com, dedicted to fans of the
worlds greatest soccer team ... NOT! ... Leeds United Rule OK ...) there
will be thousands of queue entries, but it all clears up nicely.

On a related subject - do any Alpha based Majordomo folk out there use
sendmail 8.6.x?  So far I'm happy with the Digital version, but am
considering going to 8.6.x as that's what I run on my SPARC and Pentium
systems.  Any Voices Of Experience would be appreciated.

   -- hugh

--
| Hugh  - Vice President and System Manager  -   Net Results, Inc. |
| Messenger  -  Senior Systems Admin  -  Southern Network Services |

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Alpha help