Subject: 3 problems: (1) majordomo erasing lists, (2) echo help, (3) medit
From: "Elena Fraboschi" <elena @ journal . math . indiana . edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 10:48:20 EDT
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

I installed majordomo 1.93 using Perl 4.036 in a SPARCstation 1+
running SunOS 4.1.  I do not have certain features running as yet,
but since I still have to read more about those, this message
will not deal with them.  Rather, I have three problems, one of
them VERY serious, which is:

(1) I installed the mailing lists in /u5/mail/lists.  The lists
	are owned by majordom.majordom, 664 as recommended.  Then
	people began to subscribe and unsubscribe, and already
	three times I have been confronted with the nightmarish
	situation in which a list that had 859 subscribers, say,
	gets overwritten with another list, same name of course,
	totalling 0 bytes.  In other words, the list gets erased.
	(The three times have been three different lists.)
	I have back-up copies, but surely that's not the answer.
	Does anyone have a guess as to what is going on here?

	I know that when subscribers subscribe or unsubscribe,
	a L.<listanme> is created, as well as a <listname>.new.
	The problem then would take place when the lock file
	is removed and <listname>.new becomes <listname>.  Help!

In the interests of expediency, I'll send the two other problems
in another message.  Many thanks, Elena Fraboschi

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Alpha help