Subject: Apollo DomainOS report re: error 139 problem
From: "Vincent D. Skahan" <vds7789 @ aw101 . iasl . ca . boeing . com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 08:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
To: rouilj @ cs . umb . edu (John P. Rouillard)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

I've sent mail to John before, but (for the list), here's the
mailer error 139 seen here with majordomo-1.93 on HP/Apollo DomainOS.
Looks like a perl eval problem from what I can tell...

[...John - while this looks more and more like a perl problem,
	is there any way we can workaround it by changing
	shlock.pl ?  Perl 4.036 isn't going to be fixed
	and perl5 isn't mature enough on all the o/s's yet.
	Is it possible to change the perl code in majordomo
	to make this one go away ? ...]

> >sh: 6199 Memory fault
> >554 "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"... unknown mailer error 139
>
> If somebody can trace down the cause of the memory fault, I would love
> it. Swap the majordomo and test programs in the majordomo bin.  Send
> email again and see what happens. If this dumps, then we may very well
> have a wrapper problem. If it doesn't, then I claim the problem is in
> perl somewhere.

damn...
unfortunately apollos don't core dump at all (standard unix my eye!)
I'll append an apollo traceback at the end of this.  Looks to me like
perl is freaking out in an eval (perl4.036)

> How long does it take to generate the memory fault? 5 seconds?  > 5
minutes?

a couple of seconds.

> >..
> >>
> >>Works fine!
> >>Any ideas?
>
> This looks like a locking problem again. As I remember request-answer
> doesn't do any locking or anything, it just spits back a message.

works (doesn't work) here on Apollos the same way.
help works ok.
everything else is error 139 :-(

> You can also try putting
> 	 $shlock'shlock_debug=1;
> into the majordomo.cf file. This will enable debugging of the locking
> routines. Also look at the output of the sendmail process by looking
> at the xf file associated with the email that is being processed by
> majordomo. This will only work if it takes a sufficently long time for
> the process to get a memory error that you can get to the xf file in
> the spool before sendmail sends the results back.

 ----------- Vince Skahan ------ vds7789@aw101.iasl.ca.boeing.com -----------
                  Oh man, I think the clock is slow.
                  I don't FEEL tardy...
                                                --- Van Halen