Subject: Re: Addresses with #'s
From: "Frank R. Jones" <frjones @ sa . mnet . uswest . com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 16:49:06 -0600
To: Marko Toivanen <mtoivane @ cc . joensuu . fi>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Very interesting...

	I was able to create a user `is#weird' under Solaris 2.4 (see below)

	I was able to send and receive mail

	and I was able to subscribe and send mail back and forth from
a mailing list...

output from who testlist
--

Members of list 'testlist':

frjones@sa.mnet.uswest.com
tester@nma.mnet.uswest.com
is#weird@sa.mnet.uswest.com

	I'm running perl 2.034, majordomo 1.93, Solaris 2.4 with
patches (I'll send you a list if need be)

	???

	the only problem I had was admintool did *not* like a `#' sign
in the user id, contrary to the man page on useradd which says:

     login is a  string of printable  characters  that  specifies
     the  new  login  name of the user, up to a maximum number of
     eight characters.  It may not contain a colon (:) or a  new-
     line (\n).

which I guess is Sun's problem. I was able to create a user without
the #, then edit passwd & shadow to add it. From there, no problems.

So my guess is that if you can't add a user with a `#' that is more a
problem of rev's of perl/majordomo or an OS restriction.
fj..