Subject: Re: A disscussion on Majordomo list about Pmail.
From: richard welty <welty @ lists . balltown . cma . com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 11:38:49 -0400
To: Paul-Joseph de Werk <paul%av2 . vrx . vhi . com @ vhipub . vhi . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

*| believe me, most of us really don't care.

*Yes, but, some of us do.  I normally have the Return-Receipt-To: and
*Read-Receipt-To: fields in my mail headers (although I have yet to get a
*response on the Read-Receipt-To: field).  I for one *am* interested in
*if certain mail gets read.  Thus, it is available for those few of us
*that are.  :-)

the problem is indeed that mailing lists are not terribly consistent
about what they put in reply-to: fields.

being a person who runs some large lists (the italian-cars-digest
is over 700, and the bmw-digest is over 1000 now), i have polled
the readers to find out what behavior they prefer.  it turns out
that they are pretty evenly divided, and the major issue to them
is the behavior of their mail reader with respect to Reply-to:,
and because some mail readers are brain-dead, there is not actually
a "correct answer" to this problem.  and even if we had a standard
for what mailing lists put in Reply-to:, the brain-dead mail readers
would still be brain-dead, and shit would still happen.

and so reply-to on my lists points back to the list, and occasionally
we are all informed when someone reads their mail.

as always, your mileage may vary.

sigh,
  richard

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: A disscussion on Majordomo list about Pmail.