Subject: Stopping bounces to the list, will this work?
From: tgclark @ baddog . cca . rockwell . com (Thomas G. Clark)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 95 10:28:36 CDT
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Hello,
	We're just getting started using MajorDomo for some local mailing lists
and of course the first one I setup had lots of management folks on it.
(Mental note: Never start using a new tool where managers can watch you.)
Alot of the people on the list are on our Banyan PC E-mail system so I have to
send their mail to the Soft-Switch gateway.  These folks have little ability
to change the address field when they answer a message so I set the "Reply_To"
field to point back at the list for their convenience.  Of course, one of the
addresses I subscribed was not correct and the resulting bounces sent several
hundred mail messages to all of my managers.  (Did I mention I did this just
before I went home for the day?)

	I've been playing with the configs of a test list for the last day or
so and think I've found a way to prevent this obnoxious behavior and still be
able to use the "Reply_To" field.  I pointed the "restrict_post" variable in
the lists config file to the "listname" file so that only those registered to
the list can post to it.  Since "Postmaster" isn't registered on the list, the
messages it sends back at the list are BOUNCED to me.

I've tested this with my Test list and it seems to do what I want it to but
before I turn it on for the main list again, I thought I'd run it by everyone
here to see if there were any holes in my thinking in which dragons may lurk.
Is what I've done reasonable, are there better ways to handle this?  Thanks
for your patience and help!

Tom

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty
 when the government's purposes are beneficient  . . .  the greatest
 dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well
 meaning but without understanding."
                Justice Louis Brandeis
                Olmstead vs. United States,  United States Supreme Court, 1928

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: majordomo with MMDF