Subject: Re: Stopping bounces to the list, will this work?
From: Marko Toivanen <mtoivane @ cc . joensuu . fi>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 01:30:03 +0300 (EET DST)
To: "Thomas G. Clark" <tgclark @ baddog . cca . rockwell . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 13 Apr 1995, Thomas G. Clark wrote:

> Hello,
> 	We're just getting started using MajorDomo for some local mailing
> lists and of course the first one I setup had lots of management folks
> on it. (Mental note: Never start using a new tool where managers can
> watch you.) Alot of the people on the list are on our Banyan PC E-mail
> system so I have to send their mail to the Soft-Switch gateway.  These
> folks have little ability to change the address field when they answer
> a message so I set the "Reply_To" field to point back at the list for
> their convenience.  Of course, one of the addresses I subscribed was
> not correct and the resulting bounces sent several hundred mail
> messages to all of my managers.  (Did I mention I did this just before
> I went home for the day?)

Did you remember to use the -f flag for resend to point to your
listname-approval or owner-listname in your listname alias? That should
do/have done the trick of getting bounces to you instead of the list. Of
course there are those nice systems and gateways that merrily bounce
according to the Reply-To (is anyone keeping a list - got a few potential
additions picked up lately?).

Did I hear Banyan Vines accounts? They have a limit of 1000 messages for a
mailbox, which can only be lowered, after which they ever so merrily
bounce according to Reply-To. One of them put 8M through a small but
unfortunate mailing list once in a very short while (yes, it was a
weekend). So your solution is in your case very good. But you might in
addition gently try to persuade the author of the Banyan Vines software to
change it, since you'd have RFCs on your side (ethical issues are not
enough, apparently).

Feel free to forward this to her/him so s/he can attempt to misunderstand
me trying to put a rather serious matter lightly as malevolence and flame
me (but s/he'll have to wait for an answer 'till after the Easter
holidays). :-)

Have fun, %-)

Marko
Marko Toivanen * * * * * *         * * * *  co-moderator in FEYERABEND of
mtoivane@cc.joensuu.fi  * * * * * *  majordomo@lists.village.virginia.edu
http://www.joensuu.fi/~mtoivane/ * finger mtoivane@cc.joensuu.fi for info