Subject: Re: Duplicate Mail...
From: Paul-Joseph de Werk <paul%av2 . vrx . vhi . com @ vhipub . vhi . com>
Date: 14 Apr 1995 08:27:59 -0700
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com, julie @ julie . pond . com

An ether being in cyberspace calling itself - Julia Anne Case - uttered:

| Subject: Duplicate Mail...
| Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 07:44:07 -0400 (EDT)
|
| I have gone through the last 6 months of archives for this list and seen
| that several people where having this problem...  But that there was no
| real resolution for it (one person had a fix for MMDF mail files)...
| I've experienced the same thing and am baffled.
|
| Here is some more information that may help in fixing this problem...
| I've noted that mail from my local system to a list doesn't get sent
| twice.  Just the mail that comes from without the system.  I'm running on
| Linux 1.2.4 and have gone through the aliases file, the config file, and
| the lists themselves to see what is wrong...
|
| At a loss,
| Julie

Some of it is due to people replying (or group replying) without
touching up the header portion.  Julia will note that she will receive
this message twice.  Once from me.  The other remailed by the list.
When people do this style of replying more people get added to the To:
line and this cycle expands to more people.  My mailer allows me to
edit the header portion of my email before sending it out.  I try to
do this (esp when responding to a list) whenever I remember to.  This
time Julia I do it on purpose to show my point.

-Paul

--
#include <stddisclamer>
[ Paul-Joseph de Werk, B.S. \ RX Net, Inc.                                 ]