Subject: Setting the envelope address
From: Ian Hoyle <ianh @ resmel . bhp . com . au>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 15:37:01 +1000
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Hi,

Predominantly we have MS Mail users on the majordomo controlled lists
that I have setup here.

The MAJOR (no pun intended ;) headache I have at the moment is that
MS Mail uses the envelope address for message replies, and _not_
what is in the From: or Reply-To: headers.

Thus I have had several instances of people sending a message to a list
soliciting a reply, the MS Mail user simply hitting "Reply" in their
mail client and the return message going back to the owner of the
list which is what usually appears in the envelope address. This is certainly
not the desired behaviour.

Now there is the ability to set $SENDER for the Reply-To: header
in the config file, but I can find no way of doing similar for the
envelope.

Short of wading into the perl sources myself, has anyone on this list
come up against this problem and solved it ?? I realise the envelope
is used for handling message bounces etc etc, but I'd rather think
about that seperately and get the intended reply behaviour working.

ian

---
           : Ian Hoyle,  Senior Research Scientist
   /\/\    : BHP Research
  / / /\   : 245 Wellington Rd, Mulgrave, 3170, AUSTRALIA
 / / /  \  : Phone    +61-3-560-7066
/ / / /\ \ : E-mail   ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au
 \  / / /  : "Happy, happy, joy, joy ......"
  \/\/\/   :         -- Ren & Stimpy ;)

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: local list protection & rcs