Subject: Re: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 127
From: Brian Clapper <bmc @ telebase . com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 17:09:05 -0400
To: swailbk @ ornl . gov
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian K Swail <swailbk@ornl.gov> writes:

Brian> I am having problems configuring Majordomo 1.93 on a Sun running
Brian> 4.1.3 and Perl5.  Does anyone know what my problem is?

Brian> Thanks in advance for your help.  Brian

Brian> ------- Forwarded Message

Brian> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 09:42:50 -0400 From: Mail Delivery Subsystem
Brian> <MAILER-DAEMON> Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 127 To:
Brian> swail

Brian> The original message was received at Wed, 19 Apr 1995 09:42:40 -0400
Brian> from icbks.ic.ornl.gov [128.219.64.202]

Brian>    ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
Brian> "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo" (unrecoverable error)
Brian> (expanded from: <majordomo>)

Brian>    ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ld.so: call to
Brian> undefined procedure _strerror from 0x7c0e8 554
Brian> "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"... unknown mailer error
Brian> 127

Brian> ------- End of Forwarded Message

Off the top of my head, it looks like your "wrapper" program was linked to
use shared libraries (as opposed to having been statically linked).  When
sendmail tries to run it, the library containing the "strerror" routine
cannot be found.  Probably sendmail's environment does not contain a value
for LD_LIBRARY_PATH (which is what most systems use to define the path of
directories containing shared libraries to be searched).

If that's the case, you have two possible solutions:

1. Get sendmail to pass a reasonable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
2. Link "wrapper" statically (probably with a -Bstatic on the link phase).

Given the small size of "wrapper", I'd opt for #2.

----
Brian M. Clapper, bmc@telebase.com
Slime is the agony of water.
        -- Jean-Paul Sartre