Subject: Re: Addresses with #'s
From: Ron Chester <ron @ Theta . com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 12:58:45 -0700
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Frank R. Jones wrote:

> Very interesting...
>
> 	I was able to create a user `is#weird' under Solaris 2.4 (see below)
>
> 	I was able to send and receive mail
>
> 	and I was able to subscribe and send mail back and forth from
> a mailing list...

I run a private majordomo list from Netcom.  No one can subscribe
themselves to the list (we have to send the password), and only
subscribers can post to the list.

I have one subscriber who we were able to subscribe to the list with no
problem, and he gets all the messages.

His address is Steve285@silicon.relay.ucm.org

Now every time he sends a message to the posting address, it bounces to
me as the owner of the list, with the message about a non-subscriber
submission.

Can anyone tell me why majordomo doesn't like this guy to post, and is
there any solution to the problem?

BTW, I have other subscribers with #'s in their addresses, who can
successfully post to the list with no problem, such as...

	RW4111@aol.com        (and many others from aol)
	u1b39@cc.keele.ac.uk
	FTFD57A@prodigy.com   (and others from prodigy)
	ae225@lafn.org
	eauu709@ea.oac.uci.edu
	74763.2207@compuserve.com  (and many others from CIS)

At first I thought that the Steve285 bounces were random burps, but he
has been on for months now, and it is totally consistent.  Every single
one of his messages bounces as a non-subscriber submission.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance... Ron Chester