Subject: Re: Addresses with #'s
From: dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com (Dave Wolfe)
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 15:55:12 -0500 (CDT)
To: uunet!Theta.com!ron

[ Ron Chester writes: ]
> I have one subscriber who we were able to subscribe to the list with no
> problem, and he gets all the messages.
>
> His address is Steve285@silicon.relay.ucm.org
>
> Now every time he sends a message to the posting address, it bounces to
> me as the owner of the list, with the message about a non-subscriber
> submission.
>
> Can anyone tell me why majordomo doesn't like this guy to post, and is
> there any solution to the problem?
>
> BTW, I have other subscribers with #'s in their addresses, who can
> successfully post to the list with no problem, such as...
>
> 	RW4111@aol.com        (and many others from aol)
> 	u1b39@cc.keele.ac.uk
> 	FTFD57A@prodigy.com   (and others from prodigy)
> 	ae225@lafn.org
> 	eauu709@ea.oac.uci.edu
> 	74763.2207@compuserve.com  (and many others from CIS)

I think the original thread was referring to actual # characters in
addresses (X400-type addresses), not numbers; numbers are perfectly
valid characters in user names.

As for your problem with a subscriber's mail bouncing, that's caused by
resend deriving the sender's address differently than majordomo: resend
ignores the Reply-To header and majordomo regards it (correctly) as
the ultimate return address. Check to see if the user has a Reply-To
header or if his mail is now coming from a different domain than his
subscription.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*  (512) 891-3246
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598