Subject: Re: Domo's going BERZERK
From: pjstevns @ wice . xs4all . nl (Paul J. Stevens)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 10:40:25 +0200 (GMT+0200)
To: barr @ math . psu . edu (Dave Barr)
Cc: isbeen @ basenet . net, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

Recently, Dave Barr proclaimed,

>   In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.950421163707.25754F-100000@mtvernon1.basenet.net>, IS
>   BeEN writes:
>   >
>   >Hi all.. well, after switching from perl5 back to perl4 I feel like I'm
>   >actually getting somewhere :) -- now I CAN get domo to respond to a help
>   >request from a user.. but it almost KILLS the system.. the load shoots
>   >through the ROOF (it was up to over 15 before we killed it) &
>
>   Strange.  Have you modified your sendmail.cf or the flags to sendmail?
>   It sounds as if sendmail is forking off a copy of itself for each
>   recipient.

Allow me to drop in a question at this point. I run Majordomo on a Linux
box, using Smail and Perl4. I too have been having trouble with the
excessive load incoming mail directed at a list or majordomo causes.

As Dave suggests, at least in my case my MTA indeed seems to be forking off
a copy of itself for each recipient. I can see thing go awry when
my system has to start dealing with ten simultaneous Perl processes, which
brings my 386 to a virtual standstill.

I am loocking for ways to go through all incoming traffic in a more
sequential, queued manner, in stead of the current mess. I don't know
however, if I have to start digging into my Smail config, or whether this
is a Majordomo feature I have to live with. Or do I have to install
Sendmail, since I get the impression around here that Smail is Not Good
for handling Majordomo lists.

  Paul J. Stevens   Utrecht, The Netherlands   TEL: +31-(0)30-871995
                       Pjstevns@wice.xs4all.nl