Subject: HYPERMAIL/Majordomo
From: Henk Meij <hmeij @ ciesin . org>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:09:20 -0400
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Cc: debbie @ qsun . ho . att . com (Deborah A Hamilton)

The hypermail package is availbale from

http://www.eit.com/software/hypermail/hypermail.html

To answer a lot of personal mail:
- to handle the email for a list I simply cat all daily files
from the archive together and pipe it to STDOUT
- then pipe that datastream into hypermail
- hypermail creates an html file for each email meesage recieves
and builds cross references by author and by thread (and that's
what I'm after)

Some relevant code (I create a weekly zip backup of the list)

STEP 1
cat agis-l.[0123456789]* | zip -8q agis-l.zip -
STEP 2
unzip -p /var/sendmail/majordomo/archives/agis-l/agis-l.zip \
| ./hypermail -i -d archive -l "AGIS-L ARCHIVE MATERIAL"

Hypermail dissect the data stream and creates an html document for EACH
mail message, not simply for each daily file. So each email received on
the list becomes an html files AND gets an entry in the index.html,
author.html and thread.html files. That's the beauty. You can now follow
threads in Mosaic or other browser following URL links. In fact, if
hypermail had a "reply" function listserv would be in trouble ;)

To see how this works, access

http://www.ciesin.org:2222/~hmeij/archive/index.html

-Henk

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Problems sending messages to a list, take 2