Subject: Re: MD and nameserver
From: Peter Bowyer <peter @ insite . parasoft . co . uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 08:04:55 +0200 (BST)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

 > When both the primary and backup name servers go down (no idea why,
 > but it has happened 3 times in the last 3 months), Majordomo starts
 > sending multiple copies of the same message to the list subscribers.
 > One time it sent over 200 copies to the list before it was caught and
 > needless to say the subscribers were not at all amused. Has anyone
 > else seen this behaviour?

 Majordomo doesn't send messages to anyone, it simply passes them to your
 system's mail transfer agent - sendmail or smail, typically. I suspect the
 behaviour you're seeing is your system's sendmail misbehaving when it can't
 talk to the nameservers. It would do the same whether the mails came from
 Majordomo or not; it's just that a mail from Majordomo typically will have a
 long list of recipients, and sendmail will take a long time to try to
 resolve all of them.

 Probably, your sendmail daemon is kicking in and starting to redeliver a
 queued messsage before its previous invocation has finished. I have seen
 this behaviour as well - I always thought sendmail protected itself from
 this.

 Now I have implemented Keith Moore's excellent 'bulk_mailer' to split list
 mails up into more manageable chunks, I don't get this problem any more. Can
 any sendmail gurus suggest a fix for us both? I'm on sendmail 8.6.12 if it
 makes any difference.

 Peter

 --
 Peter Bowyer
 peter@insite.parasoft.co.uk

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Returned mail: Deferred (fwd)