Subject: Re: multiple messages (under Linux)
From: Dave Barr <barr @ math . psu . edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:59:27 -0400
To: Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <Pine.3.89.9504261810.A477-0100000@tech3.cox.smu.edu>, Gerald Anders
on writes:
>I am having a VERY similar problem. >> When both the primary and backup name
servers go down (no idea why,
>> but it has happened 3 times in the last 3 months), Majordomo starts
[..]
>> I'm running 1.93 with perl 4.036 on Linux 1.1.63.

I remember seeing several reports in the past of Linux not doing
file locking correctly (or at least not implementing the locking style
that sendmail uses).  If sendmail can't do file locking correctly,
it will send duplicate messages. There supposedly was some sort of patch
to sendmail which works around this problem.  Anyone have more
information about this?  I really could use this for the FAQ.

Searching through the sendmail source it has a HASFLOCK compile
option.

--Dave