Subject: I need help on bounces - again !
From: "M.MCCARRON" <M . McCarron @ Queens-Belfast . AC . UK>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 09:27:22 EDT
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Cc: M . McCarron @ Queens-Belfast . AC . UK

I sent the following message to the list on 24th April and so far it hasn't
appeared. So here I go again.

I had some problems with bounces a while back and I sent a message to the list.

Here it is again.

from this one problem last night.

A message came to the list and went to the archives (as expected).
The list-owner also received the message as a bounce with the subject
header

Subject: BOUNCE fox@boris.qub.ac.uk: Admin request

However, no list members received the message...
This is all the more puzzling because the list-owner is also a list
member (using the same e-mail address for both).

No messages came to majordomo or to the Log file concerning this message.

There were no problems with messages before or after that one.

Baffling for me !

Majella McCarron - Queen's University, Belfast

http://www.qub.ac.uk

P.S Is there a list of error messages or trouble-shooting guide or both ?

Thanks to those people who responded to my cry for help. I thought
initially I had the answers, but now I'm not so sure.

Spider Boardman replied . . .

Spider>This comes up often enough that it probably should be in the FAQ.

Spider>First, of course, it was bounced to the list-owner because of
Spider>admin-request checks, as the referenced subject line was meant to
Spider>imply.  That's based on the administrivia checks in the resend
Spider>script and the list config file's setting of the administrivia
Spider>flag.

Spider>However, your archive got it because it's attached to your list
Spider>in the wrong place.  Basically, the digester and the archiver
Spider>need to be handled as though they were list members, not as
Spider>parallel parts of the list delivery.

It turned out that the bounces were indeed because of administrivia checks.
There were who's and helps in the first five lines of the bounced messages.
Hence the bounces were explained.

On the face of it, it appeared as though I had misconfigured my alias file
since bounced messages were getting into the archives.

I went back and had a look at my alias file to see what I had done.
Here it is :

fox: "|/usr/local/etc/majordomo/wrapper resend -l fox -h boris.qub.ac.uk
      -r fox -s fox-outgoing",
      "|/usr/local/bin/add_this 'fox'" # hypermail it
owner-fox: p9490086@elmwood1.causeway.qub.ac.uk
fox-owner: owner-fox
fox-approval: owner-fox
fox-digest: fox
fox-outgoing::include:/usr/spool/ftp/pub/lists/fox,
    "|/usr/local/etc/majordomo/wrapper archive -f
    /usr/spool/ftp/pub/lists/fox.archive/fox -m -a",
    "|/usr/local/etc/majordomo/wrapper digest -r -C -l fox-digest
    fox-digest-outgoing"
fox-digest-outgoing::include:/usr/spool/ftp/pub/lists/fox-digest
owner-fox-digest:owner-fox
owner-fox-outgoing: owner-fox
owner-fox-archive: owner-fox
fox-request: "|/usr/local/etc/majordomo/wrapper request-answer fox"
owner-fox-request: owner-fox
owner-fox-request-outgoing: owner-fox
fox-digest-approval:fox-approval

I actually took this alias almost straight out of the 1.92 README
Here's the blurb in the README.

 # I put the digest and archive programs on the outgoing list so that
 # messages bounced by resend don't end up in the digest or archive
 # unless I send them through resend explicitly.

So as I hope you can see, I thought this angle was already covered !

Can anyone see a problem with either my alias or the README ??

Thanks in anticipation.
Majella McCarron

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: I have a question HELP!