Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(May 1995)

Subject: Re: Majordomo mysteriously stopped working...
From: "John P. Rouillard" <rouilj @ cs . umb . edu>
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 12:00:28 -0400
To: r . street @ auckland . ac . nz (Russell Street)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

I'll bet sendmail is smashing case on the command line arguments when it
goes to queue them. also with majordomo 1.9x you should only use the -l and -h o
options on the command line otherwise the per list config files won't work
properly.

(sorry about the last response for digest failue. I am processing my
mailq in a couple of windows to do multithreading/categorization and
I forgot to move to the head of the category before posting 8-().

In message <9505040705.AA16948@ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>,
Russell Street writes:

>Hello...
>
>I had been happily running several Majordomo lists on my Solaris 2.3
>system.  A few days ago I changed an option in sendmail.cf to queue
>mail rather than attempt immediate delivery, and the Majordomo lists
>mysteriously stopped working with messages like:
>
>554 "|/usr/local/majordomo/bin/wrapper resend -p bulk -M 10000 -R -l jinarwa
> -f jinarwa-owner -h auckland.ac.nz -s jinarwa-outgoing"... unknown mailer e
>rror 2
>
>Running sendmail by hand produced errors about 'must specify -l list
>and -h host'.
>
>The entries in the alias file looks like:
>
>jinarwa: "|/usr/local/majordomo/bin/wrapper resend -h auckland.ac.nz -l jina
>rwa -p bulk -f jinarwa-owner -s jinarwa-outgoing"
>jinarwa-owner: t.behrend@auckland.ac.nz
>jinarwa-approval: t.behrend@auckland.ac.nz
>jinarwa-outgoing: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/jinarwa
>owner-jinarwa-outgoing: jinarwa-owner
>

>which work. The command line in the error above I got by following the
>examples in the documentation.
>
>"Nothing else has changed" in the sendmail.cf, majordomo configuration
>or list configuration for months.
>
>Can anyone shed light on this?
>Russell
> Russell Street (r.street@auckland.ac.nz) +64 (9) 373-7599 extn 6487
>   UNIX Systems Programmer, Computer Centre, University of Auckland
>	     http://www.auckland.ac.nz/cc/People/RS.html
>
>	      Remember ... in space anything is possible
>	      -- provided you bolt the bed to the floor.
				-- John
John Rouillard

Senior Systems Administrator		  IDD Information Services
rouilj@dstar.iddis.com			  Waltham, MA (617) 890-7227 x337
						      (617) 487-3937 (Direct)
Senior Systems Consultant (SERL Project)  University of Massachusetts at Boston
rouilj@cs.umb.edu (preferred)	          Boston, MA, (617) 287-6480