Subject: www & majordomo
From: Yan Lau <lau @ wharton . upenn . edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:20:53 -0400 (EDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

This might be more appropriate for majordomo workers or maybe
inappropriate for them too but here goes...

I have looked at various www interfaces to mailing lists.  There are
quite a few out there and they seem to be very good.  Some can be
customized to different mailing list software including Majordomo.

What I found lacking is that all of them seem to be non-interactive;
that is, they generate an e-mail message and the replies are sent via
e-mail.  It would be better is the replies were sent back to www pages.

Suppose a WWW server was running on the Majordomo server.  In looking
at majordomo and majordomo.pl the major change seems to be to write
html code to display the results.  Although I don't know what they may
be, I suspect that there could be some problems with this setup.

For instance, validating the user could be an issue.  For a first version,
I am not talking about the mailing list owner functions but rather the
subscribe, unsubscribe, who, which, info commands.  I would consider
even leaving the subscribe and unsubscribe commands to e-mail.  However,
it would be very nice if the lists, who, which and info commands be
implemented.

Has anyone investigated this and what things should be be very carefully
considered before implementing such an idea?

Yan.
--
          "I think we're both gonna make it *big*. I am very optimistic."
   )~  Yan K. Lau                                      lau@wharton.upenn.edu

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: bulking up