Subject: Re: How-To: Majordomo & Linux
From: root <root @ selket . van . wa . us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 13:07:31 -47900
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Robb Shecter wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Dave Barr wrote:
>
> > >I wrote:
> > >I'm running Linux 1.2.x, perl 4.036, and MD 1.93.  It works perfectly.
> >
> > Please tell us what's so special about this setup.  It appears to
> > be just a standard POSIX configuration.
> >

> Absolutely right.  That's why I'm tired of hearing, "Oh, Linux is not up
> to it", or something like that.  It'd be interesting to hear a case where
> it -really- wasn't, but as far as I've found, there's nothing special
> that needs to be done.

Hear, hear!  We have been running one version or another of Linux for
over a year.  We not only run majordomo on this system, but we also
maintain a private ftp archive, run a web server, and in the past, we've
run an irc server.  Everything has worked... that is, everything that the
phone lines will handle!

Our internet access provider is running Linux as well, on a system that
involves perhaps a hundred incoming lines and several outbound T1s.  FYI,
his previous OS was SVR4.  :)

We know that this is a bit off topic, but we think it's important to
respond to the rumors that Linux just isn't robust enough to handle these
kind of services!

Elena and Joe