I need to move my list, "canals", from one majordomo site to
another. Ideally I'd like to do this with minimal impact on
the list members and potential subscribers.
Assuming the list is essentially "ready to roll" at the new site,
I suppose the ideal scenario would be something like this:
1. Start queueing mail coming in to canals and canals-request
(while permitting all other non-majordomo mail activity to
continue, if possible).
2. Wait for all inprocess mail (messages and administrative) to
have cleared out. The outbound mail queue is empty.
3. Switch the aliases of canals and canals-request to point to
the new site.
4. Move the list, archive, and digest files to the new site.
5. Restart the incoming queued mail, which will now flow through
the aliases to the new site.
The problematic ones above are 1 and 5. (I realize these are really
sendmail questions.) Can this be done? If not, is there another way to
acheive my goal? Is there anything I've overlooked?
(The mail configuration at the current site seems to run smapd,
with smap kicked off by inetd. I think sendmail runs on a cron.)
- george (firstname.lastname@example.org)