Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: List alias
From: David Miller <isdmill @ gatekeeper . ddp . state . me . us>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 08:53:42 -0500 (EST)
To: Adrian Bassett <A . J . Bassett @ reading . ac . uk>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Adrian Bassett wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Diego Sierra wrote:
>
> > For example, if I want a moderate list, I must use the proper options in the
> > resend command and use this two aliases:
> >
> > test:"|/majordomo/bin/wrapper resend OPTIONS_FOR_MODERATED_LIST test-outgoing
> > test-outgoing::include:/majordomo/lists/test
> >
> > so people send mail to the list "test" and the resend processes the mail.
> > BUT, what happen if a person send mail to "test-outgoing" ??? this is just a
> > standard alias so his mail would hit the list without the test-owner
> > approval. IS THIS THE EXPECTED WAY ???
>
> Presumably not.  If you want a list to be moderated then you configure it
> as such in the config file for the list (moderate = yes) and not if you
> don't (moderate = no).  Having people mail to the -outoing alias is not a
> good idea if there are restrictions on who can post, message size etc. as
> it would seem to bypass the checks that take place when mail goes through
> the expected route.  Apart from needing to patch majordomo in order that
> mkdigest will work with digests that are not named -digest-outgoing I
> assume that it is good practice not to use the word outgoing but to adopt
> some obfuscation that is unlikely to be guessed.  Do other people do this?

Since test-outgoing is just an MTA include file with a list of addresses
it isn't strictly a part of majordomo.  Is it really necessary for
anything other than testing?  IE, why not just delete it after the list
is properly setup?

--- David Miller

		It's *amazing* what one can accomplish when
		    one doesn't know what one can't do!