Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 1996)

Subject: Re: Member names
From: Ryan Tucker <rtucker @ puck . nether . net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 20:56:23 -0500 (EST)
To: benn @ srnet . com (Benn Boulton)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

Try something like:

My Real Name <me@myhost.com>
or
me@myhost.com (My Real Name)

You could probably convert the whole file with a simple perl script (this
exercise is left for the reader), or do it by hand if the list is short.

The logic behind this is because sendmail (majordomo doesn't care about the
file format during delivery) can't tell the difference between two addresses
with a comma, newline, or space between them.  This is so that people can
do quick and dirty aliases in /etc/aliases.

If you don't like that, feel free to rewrite RFC 822 and get your replacement
globally accepted ;-)

Have a good one!  -rt

--
Ryan Tucker (aka HoopyCat)