Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(January 1996)

Subject: RE: Newbie question
From: ktaylor @ resdata . com (Kevin Taylor)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 96 10:11:59 GMT
To: ricardo @ americasnet . com
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed majordomo on my system and I'm trying to get it to work.
>
> Running Linux 1.2.13, majordomo-1.93 and perl5
>
> My problem right now is that when I do a test, the alias to "wrapper
> majordomo" starts, then the process goes out of control, slowly gobbling
> up all memory in my system and bringing everything to a halt.

Richard,
	I had _exactly_ the same problem when I first installed Majordomo
on my Linux system (at the time I think I had all the same versions of
Linux/Majordomo/Perl that you do).  Anyway, run the "top" command and watch
your process run when you send mail to Majordomo.  My physical memory
droped to nothing (~256k) and my swap got eaten up until the whole process
just died.  If I killed the process, I got mail with some cryptic mail message
telling me there was a mailer error (insufficient memory or somesuch).  The
key here is to see who the owner of the process is.  If the owner appears to
be a user that is not on your system (like uid 54, which is the default
uid and gid with the majordomo distribution), you need to edit your Makefile
and change the following lines:

[...]
#
W_UID = 0	<--- this should be the UID for ROOT
W_GID = 0	<--- this should be the GID for ROOT
W_CHOWN=root	<--- make sure this says "root"
W_CHMOD=4755
WRAPPER_FLAGS = -DBIN=\"${W_BIN}\" -DPATH=\"PATH=${W_PATH}\" \

	This was the fix for my system.  Try it out and see if works for you.

						Good luck,

						Kevin Taylor
						ktaylor@bigbtu.resdata.com

>;)

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: address unknown