Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 1996)

Subject: Re: Help
From: "Steve C. Carpenter" <stevec @ cow . Jpl . Nasa . Gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 14:53:50 -0800
To: "Thaxton, Dennis" <thaxton @ mediacen . navy . mil>, "'smtp:majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com'" <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

On Feb 5,  3:50pm, Thaxton, Dennis wrote:
> Subject: Help
>
>      I'm trying to install Majordomo v 1.93 on a BSDI server.  I've followed
> the directions in the README file for installing and setting up lists (I've
> set up a dummy list called dennis).  However, when I try to test it to see
> if it's working (I.E. subscribe dennis), I get the following error message
> from the mailer daemon:
>
> The original message was received at Mon, 5 Feb 1996 12:44:32 -0500
> from mail.mediacen.navy.mil [199.208.155.1]
>
>    ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
> "|/usr/local/bin/wrapper majordomo"  (unrecoverable error)
>     (expanded from: <majordomo@hq.mediacen.navy.mil>)

> Memory fault
> 554 "|/usr/local/bin/wrapper majordomo"... unknown mailer error 139
>

>      and then receive the following message from Majordomo:
>  --

>      I've tried several other commands as well (I.E. index, lists, help) and
> help is the only command that I get a response from, although the results
> are also preceded by another email from the mailer daemon with a error
> message identical to the one above.  Can anyone provide any insight on what
> the problem might be?  What is mailer error 139? If you need additional info
> (contents of config files, etc.) let me know.  Right now I'm stumped and
> don't know if I'm doing something wrong or where to look next.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Dennis
>

>-- End of excerpt from Thaxton, Dennis

This appears to be a common problem.  When will majordomo work with perl 5.001?

--- Forwarded mail from cpayne@fiber.net

From: Carl Payne <cpayne@fiber.net>
Date: Tue,  6 Feb 96 16:24:26 -0700
To: "Steve C. Carpenter" <stevec@cow.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Subject: Re: I'm toast

[ plain text
  Encoded with "quoted-printable" ] :
>Are you implying that majordomo 1.93 works with perl5?  I have found the
>contrary.  I was getting the following return error message under perl5:

It does.  Be carteful: it MUST be one of the Zeros: 5.000 or 5.001, but NOT
5.001M or 5-point-anythingelse.

I also have it running under 5.000 on a Solaris 2.4 Netra i20.

Did your perl ./configure script run OK?

>sh: 13752 Bus error - core dumped
>sh: 20611 Memory fault

These are almost identical error, BION.

Carl

---End of forwarded mail from cpayne@fiber.net

My original submission of the error message was:

   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
"|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"  (unrecoverable error)
    (expanded from: <majordomo@tone.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>)