Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 1996)

Subject: permissions problems
From: Mike Denka <mdenk @ whidbey . net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:44:06 -0800 (PST)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

I recognize that permissions are the most oft-quoted problems with
new installations of majordomo and that I have permission problems.
But I am at a loss to find them.  Here's what happens:

(BTW, running Solaris 2.5 using Perl5.001m and majordomo-1.93)

I can execute all the majordomo commands (help, list, subscribe, etc.) just
fine.  No problems here.

If I try to send a message to the list (using resend) the process aborts
because it can't write to the list directory.  If I change the ownership
of the list directory to "daemon", it works.  I have to change list config
file's ownership to "daemon" too.  Then I have to change the archive
directory's owner to "daemon" in order to archive messages to the list.
But no matter what I do, I can't get the index function to return the
filename of the archive file.  The archive file is owned by daemon in
group majordom and has permission 664.  The archive directory is owned
by daemon and in group majordom with permission 775.

Wrapper owned by root and run setuid.  Wrapper is in the majordom group.
All the other perl scripts are owned by majordom and in group majordom.
Wrapper is compiled with both W_UID and G_UID set to majordom's uid and
group id.  I tried compiling wrapper with W_UID set to 0, but it didn't
help.

It seems to me that resend must be running as "daemon".  But I don't know
how to change that.  Where is this determination made?  And does anyone
have any ideas about the index problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Mike Denka
System Administrator
Whidbey Connections
mdenk@whidbey.net

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Default reply behavior is counterintuitive