Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Infinite loop?
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 20:54:39 -0500 (CDT)
To: root @ monet . luzerne . edu (Bob Dushok)

[ Copied to majordomo-users. Please direct follow-ups there instead of
majordomo-workers. ]

[ Bob Dushok writes: ]

> I'm having trouble configuring MajorDomo on my system. [...]
> All major domo program and list directories (and all subdirectories
> of) are set to have a permission of 775. All files are set to 664,
> program files are set to 774. All files are owned by my majordomo user
> and group with the exception of wrapper which is owned by root:root.

But is wrapper setuid? That is, do the 'ls -l' permissions flags look
like -r-sr-xr-x ?
        ^ Note 's', not 'x'

> [...] I set all major domo directories and files to a permission of
> 777 (I know this isn't a good idea). Sending mail to Major Domo now
> does work. I can get help info and even subscribe to the list I've
> setup. Unfortunately, after sending a command to majordomo perl and
> majordomo do not shut down and may be caught in a loop (shows up as a
> process on PS). The hard drive on my server continually runs. After
> a few seconds attempting to use anything (ftp, etc) results in a
> segmentation fault error, a few seconds later memory errors appear.

Classic symptoms of not being able to lock the Log file. Either you
missed write permissions on the directory the log file is in or your
wrapper isn't installed correctly (see above) and Mj isn't running as a
uid that can write in that directory.

> I can not kill the perl process.  The process does kill but reappears
> within a minute or two.  The only way out appears to shutdown and restart
> the server.

Sendmail gets an error returned when trying to deliver to Mj (because
Mj gets a SIGSEGV or gets killed) so sendmail queues the mail and tries
again.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598

Indexed By Date Previous: Same errors even using POSIX settings