Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Cutted mails....
From: Shawn Steele <shawn @ aob . org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:33:57 -0600
To: cameron @ research . canon . com . au, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

> Um, _all_ SMTP mailers do this. Programs which talk to them are meant
> to escape the "." themselves. This is NOT something majordomo should
> be doing.  A more likely cause of the problem is majordomo's call to
> sendmail. Sendmail will also look for dots - there's an option to
> sendmail ("-oi" as I recall) which reads until EOF, as it's supposed
> to. Are you using this in majordomo's call to sendmail?

Well, something must be wrong because it is delivered correctly to
99.8% of the addresses on my list.  It is probable that the 2 bad
addresses were behind a firewall or other redistribution point that had
misbehaving mailers, but it STILL caused complaints to show up in my
mailbox <G>.  One thing anyone with a sizable list knows is that not
everyone's system works like it's supposed to!

- shawn