Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Closed List
From: bill @ celestial . com (Bill Campbell)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 07:52:13 -0700 (PDT)
To: barry_gamblin @ nrel . gov (Barry S. Gamblin)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

>The problem I am having is that even though it is a closed list with
>restrict-post set, people can still find out your outglong alias and mail
>directly to that, which bypasses majordomo.  I even use the @filename
>directive so EXPN doesn't show it, but sendmail is still putting an
>"Apparently To: " header in the message giving out my outgoing alias to
>everyone who gets the message.  Does anyone know how to stop this?

We're running majordomo-1.93 on SCO OSR-5 using smail-3.1.29 in place
of sendmail.  I'm using the built-in list processing in smail to do
the actual delivery rather than the :include: syntax in /usr/lib/aliases:

test-list: "|/usr/local/lib/mail/majordomo/wrapper resend -p bulk -M 10000 \
           -l test-list -f test-list-Owner -h celestial.com -s test-list-xxxxx"
test-list-xxxxx: test-list-xxxxx, test-list-archive

Where xxxxx is something less than obvious.  Smail doesn't put this in
any of the headers.  YARNTUSM (Yet Another Reason Not To Use Sendmail :-).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
		-- Johnny Hart

From: barry_gamblin@nrel.gov (Barry S. Gamblin)
Next: new-list produces error
From: Roman Huber <huber@automatix.wop.iao.fhg.de>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Closed List
From: barry_gamblin@nrel.gov (Barry S. Gamblin)
Next: Re: Closed List
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu>