Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Q: Preventing Wrapped Lines
From: Bruno Bloch <bbloch @ sprynet . com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 00:50:05 -0000
Cc: "Majordomo Talk" <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>

>Give them software that represents the message onscreen as it would be seen
>by anyone receiving the message?  Sure, I have a mail reader that will wrap
>long lines for me when I ask, but most people don't.  You might be seeing
>what happens when a message without line breaks goes through a mail
>transfer agent that converts to quoted-printable.  In that case, lines will
>be broken with an equals sign at the end.  Readers will need a MIME-aware
>user agent to properly decode the message.

For the Mac Claris Emailer does a great job. Although you can have the
window wider than 75 (or was it 77) characters, it will automatically
wrap the entire text before sending it off. It uses less than 80
characters to allow quoting it for a reply afterwards and still stick to
less than 80 unless the mail gets quoted and quoted repeatedly adding a
quote string each time...by what ever mail software the replying party
uses.

But I understand that Prodigy is mostly used by PC users...but I am sure
there are packages doing the same.

Best regards

Bruno Bloch                              Mission Advise
President
                                         C.F. Meyer Str. 16
EU Phone: +41 1 771 6336                 Kilchberg, CH 8802
EU Fax:   +41 1 771 6335                 Switzerland

eMail:  bbloch@mission-a.com             visit: <http://www.mission-a.com>
Join the Investor-Talk, visit: <http://www.mission-a.com/ml/maillist.html>

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: using the Approved: header