Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Making a "bounces" list
From: "Dennis Black" <Dennis . Black @ UAlberta . CA>
Date: 20 Jun 1996 08:51:42 -0700
To: "majordomo users" <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: "Steve Timm" <timm @ andrews . edu>

        Reply to:   RE>Making a "bounces" list

On  6/19/96 9:04 PM Steve Timm wrote:
>Apparently without sysop intervention, my address was put
>on what is called the "bounces" list, and instead of getting the regular
>E-mail from the list, I got one message a day from the "bounces" list
>until my system came back up and I sent in a message to resubscribe.
>Is anyone ot there running such a setup?  If so, how do you make it work?

Steve, I created a regular, everyday list called bounces, and set the
subscribe policy to auto and strip=no.
That allows our listowners to send this:

approve <passwd> unsubscribe <their-list> <bad-e-mail-address>
subscribe bounces <bad-e-mail-address> (960620 their-list-name)

The (comment) is optional - if they forget it, ho hum.
None of our listowners can run the Perl bounces script, so I had to come
up with an easy alternative.
I do however, have a crontab set up to run the bounce-remind script:

00 1 * * 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 echo bounce-remind

That sends out the canned message that you refer to. Then choose a
number of days to leave the bad address there before trashing it.

Indexed By Date Previous: SCO MMDF/Majordomo