Subject: Re: Reply to: and Autoresponder caused
From: graham @ ee . washington . edu (Stephen Graham)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:39:17 -0700
To: Majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:53 AM 16/7/96, Richard Pieri wrote:
>WB> Sounds like the list setup and the autoresponder are more to blame
>WB> than Reply-To.
>
>Reply-To must be honored when it exists.  The autoresponder is acting
>correctly when it honors the Reply-To header.  To hold it responsible
>for doing something incorectly in this case is laughable, because it is
>not doing anything incorrectly.  You (as the list owner) told it to send
>its replies to your mailing list by setting a Reply-To header.  If you
>do not want it to send replies to your mailing list, do not tell it to
>do so.

Reply-To overrides the From header, not the Sender header. Since Sender
is the intended recipient of error message and delivery notification,
including vacation messages, then the autoresponder is behaving
incorrectly.

---
Stephen Graham
graham@ee.washington.edu
graham@cs.washington.edu

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: MD eats my system