Subject: Re: Add subject-prefix please
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 17 Jul 1996 00:15:30 -0500
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

BR> I'm on over 50 lists and I've never seen subject-prefixing.

Way back when I set my lists up with it, as it seemed to make sense.  I
think it's not a bad idea for low traffic lists or those where the
subscribers aren't expected to have access to filtering software.  In the
former case the list might not really warrant filtering and in the latter
case it helps make the messages distinct for users who would otherwise see
a jumbled mess of mail.

Still, for a technical list it makes little sense.  I should point out,
though, that the prefixes are easy to get rid of for those with adequate
filtering.  A Procmail example:

:0
*^TOtype-o@.*hpc.uh.edu
{
        :0 h
        SUBJECT=| formail -xSubject: | sed 's/TYPE-O: //'

        :0 fhw
        |formail -i "Subject:" -a "Subject:$SUBJECT"

        :0:
        spool/type-o.spool
}

 - J<