Subject: 'Invalid archive dir' probs, Cont'd
From: "Michael S. James" <mjames @ xicom . com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:18:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Cc: mjames @ xicom . com

Hi,

Thanks to those who have replied to my recent messages about this
'Invalid archive directory' problem.  I have made changes to my
/etc/aliases file and majordomo.cf file since then.

My /etc/aliases file looks like this:

*
*
*
# Test list aliases
owner-test: mjames
test-approval: mjames
test: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper resend -l test -h moses.xicom.com \
  test-outgoing"
test-outgoing::include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/test, test-archive
test-archive: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive -f \
  /usr/local/majordomo/lists/test -m -a"
test-request: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper request-answer test"
*
*
*

And my @archive_dirs looks like this:

*
@archive_dirs = ( "/usr/local/majordomo/lists/test" );
*

But unfortunately, abort problems still persist.  If you can hang with me
for aliitle bit more, I did some interesting investigation.  Here's what I
did and the results.

I have isolated where the abort happens in the code. Below is a
snipit of code from the archive2.pl (renamed archive in
/usr/local/majordomo) script where a comparison of 2 values
are made.  I modified the code to print out the values of the 2
variables being compared along with the 'Invalid archive directory' abort
message.  What I added is underscored by the ^^^^^ symbols.

*
*
*
[snip]
undef $valid_dir;
foreach $dir (@archive_dirs) {
    if ($dir eq $dirname) {
        $valid_dir = $dirname;
        last;
    }
}

if (!$valid_dir) {
    &abort("Invalid archive directory.  Aborting. ($dir)=dir & \
						  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
       ($dirname)=dirname\n");
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[snip]
*
*
*

Now, here's a snipit of the sendmail error message containing the
infamous aborted message.  Note output of the variables being compared.
The $dir variable, that's being compared against the $dirname varible,
has no value. That seems strange.  And also note the line containing my
aliase definition.  The directory path matches my @archive_dirs directive
in majordomo.cf.

*
*
[snip]
The original message was received at Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:05:07 -0400
from bin@localhost

----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----
"|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive -f \
        /usr/local/majordomo/lists/test -m -a"  (unrecoverable error)

(expanded from: test-archive)

Invalid archive directory.  Aborting. ()=dir & \
				      ^^^^^^^^
            (/usr/local/majordomo/lists)=dirname
	    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ABORT Invalid archive directory.  Aborting. ()=dir & \
       (/usr/local/majordomo/lists)=dirname

554 "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper archive -f \
      /usr/local/majordomo/lists/test -m -a"... unknown mailer
error 29
*
*
*

Now my questions.

1.  What is $dir supposed to be reading?  I figure it's upposed to be
reading a directory path because it's be compared to another directory path.

2.  If it's supposed to be reading a directory path, how come it has no
value or contents?

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

* Mike James                 XICOM NetWorks, Inc.                    *
* mjames@xicom.com           Delaware's Premier Christian ISP        *
* http://www.xicom.com/      302-369-8842 (voice) 302-369-8846 (fax) *

Indexed By Date Previous: How to set up digested lists