Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Messages Looping
From: bh @ stargame . org
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:12:21 GMT
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

I am running Majordomo 1.94a9 and recently a problem just starting out of
nowhere.  Messages sent to the list are "looping" back to the list.  Nobody has
subscribed the list to the list or anything like that.  In fact, open+approve is
turned on to make that difficult.  Each "loop" through the system the message is
identical to the previsious one except for two things.  1) There is an extra
"Reply-To:" line added  2) there is an extra copy of the message footer
appended.  The second one I would exepect, but the first to me is strange.
Below is a copy of one of these messages with complete headers after 4 trips
through the system.  After that are the aliases and the config file.  Any ideas
would be appreciated.  columbia.phy.wfu.edu is the actual name of the machine,
but it has a cname as stargame.org and sendmail masquerades as stargame.org and
all of the resend processes identify it as stargame.org, but any references in
these files to columbia.phy.wfu.edu are the same machine.

This situaation just started all of a sudden affects some messages and not
others and affects some lists but not others.  The list below is the one that
has been hit the worst but there have been a couple of cases of this happening
on other lists