Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: FW: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 13:05:48 -0500 (CDT)
To: uunet!winterlan . com!paule @ uunet . uu . net (Paul Estes)
Cc: uunet!greatcircle . com!majordomo-users @ uunet . uu . net

[ Paul Estes writes: ]

> I just installed Majordomo on a Linux (1.3.100) machine, and when I try
> to send it a help request ( or probably any request for that matter, I
> haven't gone further than this initial test), it takes forever, gives an
> out of memory error and quits out. It DOES send me the help message
> though. I've attached the debug output. Has anyone seen this behavior
> before?
[...]
> >Deep recursion on subroutine "abort" at
> >/usr/local/majordomo/majordomo.pl line 490, <> chunk 1.
> >Out of memory!
> >554 "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"... unknown mailer error 1

Yea, we've seen it before, since the question gets posted here about 10
times a day. ;-) Majordomo doesn't have write permission in the parent
directory of one of the files it's trying to access (and thus create a
lock file for), probably the log file directory. If an inspection of
all the directory and file permissions doesn't fix it, then include
specifics of how things are installed, i.e. ls -l listings, in your next
message.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598