Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: More on that majordomo.cf file error.
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:33:00 -0500 (CDT)
To: chrisj @ polaristel . net (Christopher Josephes)
Cc: Majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

[ Christopher Josephes writes: ]

> > From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe@risc.sps.mot.com>
> >
> > Sounds to me like you and Mj aren't looking at the same file if 'perl
> > -cw majordomo.cf' doesn't get errors but Mj does when eval'ing it. Check
> > your Makefile to see how you configured Mj or run 'strings wrapper' and
> > look for MAJORDOMO_CF.
>
> Uh-oh. MAJORDOMO_CF turned out to be nothing. But dosn't the majordomo
> script try and find the path of the ".cf" file as well? The one
> line that sets the "$cf" variable sets it to either the value of
> MAJORDOMO_CF, or defaults to "/etc/majordomo.cf" (where the actual
> majordomo.cf file is in my case).

If the MAJORDOMO_CF environment variable isn't set, majordomo defaults
to '/etc/majordomo.cf', but you had to do some inventive editing on the
Makefile to get MAJORDOMO_CF actually set to a null string. I think you
need to try again on configuring/building/installing wrapper. Or if
you're comfortable running the Perl debugger, you could make a stab at
seeing exactly where majordomo thinks its .cf file is (you have to have
a copy of perl in the same directory as wrapper):

./wrapper perl -d majordomo testlist
[...]
main::(majordomo:26):   $cf = $ENV{"MAJORDOMO_CF"} || "/etc/majordomo.cf";
  DB<1> s
main::(majordomo:27):   while ($ARGV[0]) {      # parse for config file or default list
  DB<1> p $cf
/[deleted]/majordomo.cf
  DB<2> q

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598