Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Introduction to this list/general questions
From: mjeffers @ gunther . infohwy . com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:51:49 -0500 (CDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Dave Wolfe wrote:

> > subscribe_policy  =   auto
> [...]
> > Subscription requests SHOULD be happening automatically, right?
>
> *Only* if the request sender (as identified in the mail headers of the
> request) matches the address specified by the 'subscribe' request. If
> no address is specified by the 'subscribe' request, then there's no
> conflict and the request is processed. If a mismatch is found, then
> the request is bounced to the approval alias for approval. This is
> intended to keep spammers from subscribing victims and the clueless from
> subscribing invalid addresses, but all that depends on what the approver
> does with approval bounces.

I do believe that the 'sender' field of the header matches, character for
character, the actual unsubscribe request... That's what is getting to me.

Besides, it's my understanding that the difference between open and
automatic subscription policies is that under an automatic setting ANYONE
can subscribe ANYONE, where as under an open setting the 2 fields must match.

Is this not correcy? I logged into the box as another user who was NOT
subscribed to the list and attempted to subscribe him, and his request
was still sent to the list owner (me)...

ARGH! The list (250 member list) isn't actually running on my box YET,
but I've got the current list admin breathing down my neck, because it is
being kicked off of the server it's being hosted on (too much traffic)..
I need to get this done ASAP.. I want you guys to know that I GREATLY
appreciate any help on this matter..

Mike Jeffers