Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Introduction to this list/general questions
From: brian . starlin @ attws . com (Brian Starlin)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:36:30 -0700
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

> From: mjeffers@gunther.infohwy.com
> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:51:49 -0500 (CDT)
>

> On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Dave Wolfe wrote:
>
> > > subscribe_policy  =   auto
> > [...]
> > > Subscription requests SHOULD be happening automatically, right?
> >
> > *Only* if the request sender (as identified in the mail headers of the
> > request) matches the address specified by the 'subscribe' request. If
> > no address is specified by the 'subscribe' request, then there's no
> > conflict and the request is processed. If a mismatch is found, then
> > the request is bounced to the approval alias for approval. This is
> > intended to keep spammers from subscribing victims and the clueless from
> > subscribing invalid addresses, but all that depends on what the approver
> > does with approval bounces.
>
> I do believe that the 'sender' field of the header matches, character for
> character, the actual unsubscribe request... That's what is getting to me.
>
> Besides, it's my understanding that the difference between open and
> automatic subscription policies is that under an automatic setting ANYONE
> can subscribe ANYONE, where as under an open setting the 2 fields must match.
>
> Is this not correcy? I logged into the box as another user who was NOT
> subscribed to the list and attempted to subscribe him, and his request
> was still sent to the list owner (me)...
>

> ARGH! The list (250 member list) isn't actually running on my box YET,
> but I've got the current list admin breathing down my neck, because it is
> being kicked off of the server it's being hosted on (too much traffic)..
> I need to get this done ASAP.. I want you guys to know that I GREATLY
> appreciate any help on this matter..
>
> Mike Jeffers

Make sure you don't have a "listname.closed" file in your $listdir (even
though the Config file should override it)

Try setting subscribe_policy to open and see if subscriptions work as
they should
b.s.

Indexed By Date Previous: majordomo on aol?
From: "Holford, Thomas G." <holford@VNET.IBM.COM>
Next: Re: More on that majordomo.cf file error.
From: Kevin Kelleher <kevink@concorde.com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Introduction to this list/general questions
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe@risc.sps.mot.com>
Next: majordomo on aol?
From: "Holford, Thomas G." <holford@VNET.IBM.COM>