Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Running out of memory?
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:39:19 -0500 (CDT)
To: dhiltgen @ toocool . itslab . calpoly . edu (Daniel Hiltgen)
Cc: Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM

[ Daniel Hiltgen writes: ]

> I have been trying to install majordomo for about a week now, and after
> wrestling with permissions, and ownership (grr) I've run in to something
> I just can't figure out.  Majordomo no longer complains about "ABORT
> opendir failed No such file or directory" but instead it just sucks up
> all the memory it can until it runs out.  (After it hits about 24MB it
> dies with an "out of memory" error. I should hope that it doesn't
> require over 24MB to just return a "lists" query!)

Here we go again. Mj is in an abort loop because something is wrong
with your installation, usually permissions, but it can also be broken
versions of Perl.

Does Mj have permission to write to the log file? How about the log file
directory? The lists file (i.e. the list file, the list.config file,
etc.)? The lists file directory? Is wrapper installed correctly (setuid
root)? I.e. when you logon as a user *other* than root or majordom,
what's displayed when you run these?

    ./test
    ./wrapper test

Yes, the './' matters. You should get the logon uid/gid for the first
case but the majordom uid/gid in the second.

> Perl V 5.001

At least 5.001e I hope. Try 'perl -v' and if you don't have unofficial
patch level 'e' or later, upgrade to 5.003. You should upgrade anyway
for that matter.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598