Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Anonymous posting
From: Patrick Wiseman <lawppw @ gsulaw . gsu . edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 11:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
To: Kevin Kelleher <kevink @ concorde . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Kevin Kelleher wrote:

> About anonymous posting to a list:  I know this is a bit
> Rube-Goldbergish, but how about this scenario, which minimizes
> patching:
>
> You have your regular list, which we can call "bongo".
>
> You set up a list for anonymous posting, called "bongo-anon".

I actually have as anon-bongo, but same difference.  But it's not a list,
it's just an alias, which pipes to the anonymiser, which forwards to the
list.

> bongo-anon has the following characteristics:
>
>  - closed subscription policy (in fact, no one can subscribe)
>  - only one subscriber: bongo
>  - restrict posting to: bongo
>  - strip received headers

anon is subscribed to any list which has an anon-listname alias; and the
lists are closed.

> All your anon patch needs to do is take out the "From" and
> "Message-ID" headers.  You could also (optionally) send an
> un-anonymized copy of the email to the list owner.

The anonymiser creates new From:, To: listname@mj.server.edu, and
Subject: lines, and forwards everything after the first blank line as the
body of the message.  So there's no need to worry about any headers which
might have been there.

> No one who isn't subscribed to bongo will be able to anonymize,
> and subscribers will be able to choose whether to anonymize or
> no.

With my way, too.  And my way is less Rube Goldberg; all it requires is
an alias and that anon be subscribed to any list using the anonymiser.

Patrick