Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Black hole of bounceness
From: Cameron Simpson <cameron @ research . canon . com . au>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:55:00 +1000 (EST)
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

mjeffers@gunther.infohwy.com writes:
| One odd thing, though.. I'm sitting here watching a 'tail -f' of my
| messages log and I'm showing that my server is timing out connecting to
| GNN.COM (not to my surprise). I SHOULD get a bounce back from these
| messages, right? Well, I'm not. NOR are they being bounced back to the
| list... Where are they going? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind not having
| to worry about the bounces, but this is completely abnormal which bothers
| me. Where are my 'mystery' bounces going?

Timeouts and other failures are a normal part of delivery, alas.
Sendmail is typically set up to try periodically (15 minutes, an hour,
whatever), but generates warning bounces less often. Here, we get a
warning email after 4 hours of failure and a bounce after 5 days of
failure. You can see why such behaviour is good. Provoided the message
doesn't fall off your mqueue, don't worry about the silence.

Your fault-tolerant dollar at work,
	- Cameron Simpson
	  cameron@research.canon.com.au, DoD#743
	  http://www.dap.csiro.au/~cameron/ [OFFLINE]
--
They have gun control in Cuba.  They have universal health care in Cuba.
Then, why do they want to come here?	- Paul Harvey, 31aug94